Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back To School Photo Tips

I know in some parts of the country kids have been back in school for awhile… Here in New England they’re just heading back now…

What would all the excitement, nerves, smell of new pencils/paper/crayons be without Mom & Dad trying to get the obligatory first day of school photo?

I look back at these photos it brings back such memories of that time… the anticipation.  When I see this photo (I hope my brother doesn’t kill me for posting it… sorry Rob, but you’re rocking those Wranglers!)… I remember my new dress… a new watch I had, and I thought I was all that b/c there was a pin under the collar of this dress that was also a watch.  I also had my Holly Hobbie lunch box!  I was ALLLL about Holly Hobbie back then… bedspread, wallpaper, sheets, lunchbox (wish I still had that lunchbox… I digress). Gotta love the Dorothy Hammil haircut too!  What I’m trying to say is looking at this ONE photo brings back all those memories of childhood.

img135

So… here are some tips to capture those memories for your children too!

  1. Take a picture, and PLAN for it!  With all the hustle & bustle of the first day of school… packing lunches, completing checklists, getting clothes out, etc… checking the camera may be an afterthought as you’re on the way out the door with only minutes to catch the bus.  Instead… 1-2 days before get your camera out, make sure it’s charged, and the memory card isn’t full.  If you’re really ambitious do a ‘dress rehearsal’, and get everyone dressed for pictures the day, or week before around the same time of day you’ll be leaving.  Have them hold their backpacks, lunchboxes, etc.  If you’re doing it the morning of allow an extra 10-15 minutes.
  2. One of my favorite things to do is have the kids have their backpacks on, turn their back toward me, and then have them look over their shoulder at me.                                                   DSCF0423
  3. Chalkboard… I saw this on another blog, and thought it was sooo cute.  Get a small chalkboard, and write the year “1st Grade” and have your child hold it. LOVE it!
  4. Don’t forget the same for the LAST day of school… it’s so fun to compare… this was from my daughter last year… first day of nursery school, and last day!School
  5. Try to take the photo at the same spot in your home/yard so you can see from year to year how these little ones are growing waaay too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment